Water FAQs

What backflow devise is approved for use in Russia?

The Watts 919 model is approved for use if you decide to keep your well and the water enters the house.

How deep should my water line be?

We recommend that your water line be installed at minimum depth of 42″. This will protect your water line from freezing under normal conditions.

What will the ultimate cost be to me to hook up to city water?

This is a difficult question to answer because every installation is different. It depends on if you plan to keep your well, if you install a second meter for outside water, or if you just want to properly close your existing well and use city water for all your water needs. You should contact your plumber to obtain a quote to have your home switched to city water. Please have your contractor contact the village to review the changeover plan for your property.

Can I put my water line into a crawl space?

Water lines can enter crawl spaces but a water meter must be installed within three feet of where the water line enters the foundation. Water meters may be installed in crawl spaces that have a clear vertical space of three feet or more without obstructions between the floor and the bottom of the floor joist. If the crawl space has less then three vertical feet of space, the water meter must be installed in the living space immediately above the location the water line enters the foundation. For a water meter to be installed in a crawl space, the space must be clean and dry. Crawl space installations must receive prior approval from the Village before the installation begins.

Do all of the approved contractors have access to drawings and know exactly what needs done?

All approved contractors have all received letters for the Village stating what needs to be done, but they will have to contact the Village office to see exactly where the curb stop will be for each property. We’ll do our best to be available when they need to speak to us.

What type of water line can be used?

This line must be K copper or blue SDR9 200 PSI test, copper tube size plastic line. The Village recommends that the homeowner install a 1″ line from the curb stop at the sidewalk to their house, but a minimum of 3/4″ line may be used. A blue #12 solid insulated copper tracer wire must be installed in the trench with the water line. The trench must be backfilled with natural sand (not limestone sand) to cover the water line before the trench is backfilled with dirt. The Village should be notified by calling Mike at 526-4436 one day before the planned water line installation so that required inspections can be scheduled. All underground water line installations must be inspected by the Village before backfilling the trench. Failure to obtain proper inspections may result in the Village refusing to allow this water line to be connected to the village water system.

What equipment will the village provide?

The village will initially provide a shutoff valve for use inside the basement at the time of the water line installation. In addition a village provided water meter, associated water meter setter fittings and a double check valve will be provided at the time of changeover to village water. The homeowner will be responsible to install the water meter and to reconfigure plumbing inside your home to allow for the connection to city water. It is recommended that an approved expansion tank with a minimum size of 4.5 gallons be installed in the home as part of the changeover to city water.

Will there be a tap in fee? What will it cost me?

A tap-in fee will be required before the installation of the water meter. This tap-in fee will cover the cost of the billing system, village provided water meter, water meter setter and shutoff valve. The tap-in fee will be $500.00 for a residential customer with a standard 5/8″ X 3/4″ water meter with an inside installation. Larger meters and non standard installations will be reviewed on a case by case basis and tap in fees will be adjusted higher based on the extra cost of the parts required for the installation.

Can I keep my well?

Existing wells may continue to be used for outside watering, but an Ohio EPA approved backflow device, purchased by the homeowner must be installed on the city water line if the well water enters or travels through the house. Wells that are no longer used must be properly sealed and a report must be filed with the Shelby County Health Department. More info on well sealing is available by clicking here.

An annual inspection and testing will be required for the backflow prevention device.

What equipment and materials will be required inside my house to connect it to city water?

This will vary widely for each residence. If you are doing away with your well, it may be as simple as disconnecting the incoming water piping from your well and connecting it to the check valve on the village provided water meter. For persons deciding to keep their wells, some extensive plumbing modifications may be required to split off the outside water taps from the rest of the house. It is recommended that an approved expansion tank with a minimum size of 4.5 gallons be installed in the home as part of the changeover to city water to avoid excessive pressure buildup in the home water system.

What Contractors are Licensed and bonded with the Village

The following contractors are currently licensed and bonded with the village. If your contractor is not listed, ask them to contact Mike Busse at the village office for the proper forms and procedures to obtain licensing and bonding.

Bill Ahrns Plumbing and Heating. PH. 937/526-4705 (certified for backflow testing)

Merit Mechanical (Casey Cordonnier) PH 567/644-5349 (certified for backflow testing)

North Star Plumbing and Heating PH. 419/336-5103

Rismiller Plumbing and Heating PH. 937/526-3822

Ruhenkamp Farm Drainage PH. 937/295-3631

Tom and Jerry’s Inc. PH. 937/295-3243 (certified for backflow testing)