Water Leak Credit Policy
In the event that a Village of Russia Resident discovers a larger than normal water usage on their monthly utility bill, the resident may appeal the charge by following procedures:
The resident should contact the Village Administrator as soon as the resident becomes aware of the excess usage.
- The Village Administrator or his designate will attempt to determine if the excess usage actually occurred or if the excess charges on the bill were due to a false meter reading.
- False readings will be corrected and appropriate credits will be issued as soon as they are discovered.
- If the excess charge is found to be from water that was leaking from a pipe or appliance and the water was not discharged into the sanitary sewer system, the customer may request in writing a one-time forgiveness of sewer charges associated with this leak.
- The excess charges will be calculated by the average sewer usage in the three months prior to the event and the excess sewer use fee will be deducted from the customer’s monthly bill if it is determined by the Village Administrator that the excess water was not discharged into the sanitary sewer system.
- Excess sewer use charge forgiveness will only be issued for one monthly bill in a consecutive 12 month period. For this credit to be issued, clear evidence must exist that the excess water due to a leaking pipe or appliance and that water was not discharged into the sanitary sewer system.